Monday, May 5, 2008

Im playing the coupon game

I have decided to play the grocery game. There is a website called thegrocerygame.com and I have heard about how much money it saves you in coupons and all that so I have decided to play. I did my 1st walgreens trip today. It was ok, but my plan A was shot down when there was no Crest ProHealth toothpaste. It was on sale 2/$5 and there was a Wags coupon for $3 off 2 and then manufacturers coupons for .50 off each making it 2/$1. But next I did get some sweet deals on Cover Girl Make up. It was buy one get one half (BOGO 1/2) so after 2 $2.50 off 2 coupons and another 2 $1.00 off coupons, I got 6 things (foundation/powder/eyelash curler/polish + 2 free blushes- free when you buy 3 CG items). I also got 2 Venus razors that were $9.99 and had a coupon for $4 off and then you got a reward at the register for $6 for your next purchase so It was like free. After I purchased 9 P&G items, I got $20 back in rewards (free money for my next purchase) and the 2 $6 back for the razors, so overall, I spent $36 and got back $32 for next time. Not too bad, but a little more up front and out of pocket than I wanted to spend, but they were all things I will use and need.
Not too shabby. We will see how Kroger goes.

Things I learned that you should know...
1- Walgreens and Target both take their own coupons in addition to manufacturers coupons on the same item
2- To save the most money, you should get only what you need to get the extra rewards and buy the other stuff with the rewards in a seperate transaction.
3- Kroger doubles coupons up to .50 and anything above .50 goes to $1.00- Automatically

2 comments:

Alyse said...

i have heard about this! we are thinking about trying it!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.